I was craving for Kueh especially after reading Fatbooo’s blogpost on making Ang Ku Kueh. AKK was 1 of the many food item which I definitely have when I’m in Singapore.
Due to limited ingredients in my pantry and time, it wasn’t possible to make AKK last weekend. Took out all my Singapore/Malaysia cookbook and ended up with 2 choices. Oneh-oneh or Kueh Dadar. I left the decision making to Mr.
I did tweak the recipe because
- I didn’t have any fresh granted coconut but I had desiccated coconut which I need to finish and decided to improvise.
- I didn’t use Pandan Juice as I was lazy and felt it was a waste using 40 leaves for just 5 tablespoons of pandan juice. Plus fresh Pandan is not easily available nor cheap in Australia. Pandan essence was a good alternative.
- I only had half the amount of desiccated coconut required for the full recipe. Therefore I halved the recipe. Recipe said 20 Kueh Dadar which will be too much for us to finish.
- I also didn’t have enough coconut milk so substituted with coconut flavour evaporative milk. Healthy option too 🙂
- Although I halved every ingredient, I totally forgotten to halve the amount of flour. I only realised when I was mixing the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients for the pancake mixture.
- In the end I had to add more evaporative milk to thin the mixture. I just went with my feeling and stop adding milk till the mixture was watery enough to make a thin slice of pancake.
To make Pancake:
This was taken on my 3rd pancake? It definitely wasn’t pretty! I was having a bit of difficulties trying to make it as thin and even as possible. Practise makes perfect. Towards the end, I was getting the hang of it.
To assemble, lay the pancake, place 3 tablespoons of filling and roll, tucking in the sides (just like making springroll).
Took me about an hour from start to finish. Although it was dried due to the filling, it was flavoursome. It wasn’t too sweet and fragrant with coconut and pandan.
I will try to make it again but must 1st get hold of fresh granted coconut and make sure I follow the recipe more closely.